Cleaning Exhaust tips, A how to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Exhaust tips, A how to....

Heres a little tip i choose to share with yall, when next cleaning you precious.

As most of you have probly noticed, nobod remembers to get the chrome exhaust tips realy shining again after new. Once they go dull, you tend to ignore them. Well, here is how to restore them, and all it takes is to raid the kitchen.

What you are looking for is some steel wool. Or scotchbrite.

when you are washing the car, just give the tips a good rub with the steel wool, inside and out. then just give them a wipe with the spunge and rinse. Its that easy.

the key is to have NO FEAR!! the steel wool will not damage them so long as you dont have a VE HSV GTS, Clubsport R8 or senator. They have alloy tips and are very soft.

Once your tips are clean, you may be tempted to spray you muffler and pipe black. Give into this tempation!! You will be better off for it.

To do this, just go to suercheap and lash out on the $2 can of black enamil. taking care not to hit anything undesirable, go nuts on the muffler. any part of it visible from the rear or sides should be painted. NOTE this is not permanant. It will eventualy come off, mufflers get hot, and i'm not advising any preperation.

Once painted and cleaned, you will be proud to show off ya tips without anyone seeing a scruffy muff hidden behind them.

The same trick with the steel wool can be done on Full stainless mufflers, like my Girlfriends Yaris' Cannons.

Happy Cleaning!
    I'm a Fit Fiat Fitter Fitting Fiat Fittings

I use autosol.

Wax on...wax off...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Comment

Yeah, but i'm talking about when you have ignored them for a year and a half
      I'm a Fit Fiat Fitter Fitting Fiat Fittings

Comment

For monthly use or every few car washes when it starts to get dull, I've been using Cotton Wadding which I got from Autobahn. Someone recommended it over at OzAudi and I tried it out and it seems to work quite well. Didn't cost too much.
        My Next Car Goes Here - New Ride Arriving Late July/Early August. Any Guesses On What?
        2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
        "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
        "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown

Comment

Cotton Wadding is good when there is not too much buildup as its soft & doesnt scratch
          www.hp.net.au

Comment

I used to use solvol autosol but I changed all that a looong time ago!! Cheers, Andrew

Andrew,
            Mk5 GTI, colourcoded, tinted, APRed, Koni coilovers, whiteline bars, BBS 18" wheels
            07 Caddy, bright orange, tinted, Oettingered , colourcoded, coilovers, rear konis, 18" wheels
            Tasmanian APR and Oettinger dealer, VW speciallist

Comment

Got the steel wool out yesterday and they zorsts came up a real treat. I used the wadding beforehand to get all the easy grime off and then went to work with the wool. There's still quite a few dull spots but I think the chrome might have actually come off. The rest of the pipes are shiny shiny now.
              My Next Car Goes Here - New Ride Arriving Late July/Early August. Any Guesses On What?
              2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
              "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
              "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown

Comment

So what did you change to, Andrew?

Dave
                2006 Candy White Polo GTI
                With some mods.

Comment

Dave, I have the turbo back APR system fitted. Sounds great, goes heaps better and the tailpipes are easy to make shiney!!!
                  Andrew
                  Andrew,
                  Mk5 GTI, colourcoded, tinted, APRed, Koni coilovers, whiteline bars, BBS 18" wheels
                  07 Caddy, bright orange, tinted, Oettingered , colourcoded, coilovers, rear konis, 18" wheels
                  Tasmanian APR and Oettinger dealer, VW speciallist

Comment

Good tips

Will have to try it on the Ghia in the future
                    + Ben +

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupe [Family Project]
                    2005 Golf TDI Comfortline [Mum's]
                    2008 Jetta 2.0 FSI [my mini Phaeton]

Comment

Working...
                    X